We’re back with another recipe by yours truly- an amateur at-home cook who knows how to use an air fryer.
Why Air Fry Zucchini Sticks?
The beauty of air frying zucchini sticks is the amount of oil you DON’T end up using. In total, for this recipe, I use 2 TBSP of olive oil in comparison to using 2-3 cups of canola or vegetable oil to deep fry them. This leaves you with a healthier, lower-calorie option that tastes just as good as your deep-fried friends.
Secondly, compared to using a flaming pot of oil on your stove, which you can easily burn yourself- the air fryer is a MUCH safer way to cook to get the same result.
Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks with Low-Calorie Aioli
- 2 Zucchini
- 1 Container Panko
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- Handful Parsley or 1 tsp dried
- 1 TBSP Salt
- 1 TSP Cayenne Pepper Optional
- 3 Eggs
- 1 TBSP Milk
- 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Low Fat Aioli
- 1/2 Cup Low Fat Mayo
- 1 TBSP Lemon
- 1 Minced Garlic Clove
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Slice your zucchinis into 3 flat pieces like the photo above and sprinkle salt on both sides.
- Let your zucchini sit for 15 minutes and pat dry with a paper towel-soaking up ALL the water. This step is critical.
- Once dry, cut in half, then in 3 lengthwise
- Arrange your 3 bowls for dredging your zucchini. First, your flour, cayenne, parsley (chopped), and a pinch of salt. Second, your eggs and milk, and third just your panko.
- Choose a hand for the dry bowls and the other for the wet. Dredge your zucchinis and set them aside on a plate.
- Mince your garlic and add into a small-medium size bowl
- Add in your mayo, lemon, a pinch of cayenne & salt.
- Every air fryer is different, so timing may be different depending on which one you have. Also, you will need to do multiple batches for this recipe.
- Arrange your sticks in your air fryer, making sure you DON'T overlap them. With a basting brush, lightly spread some olive oil over your sticks.
- Cook at 400 for 5 minutes, then flip, re olive oil, and put on for another 5 minutes.