Table of Contents
We’re back with another amateur recipe by a home cook! If I can do it so can you!
Today we’re talking about a super easy recipe for focaccia pizza with chicken & asparagus! Focaccia is a fluffy Italian bread perfect for turning into pizza! This pizza is topped with an easy cream sauce, feta, chicken, asparagus & mozzarella. This recipe is the perfect addition to your spring menu!
What Is Focaccia?
Focaccia is an Italian-style bread that is made with olive oil and has a touch of sweetness to it. Traditionally it’s made with extra-virgin olive oil and creates this pillowy bread that can be used for SO many things.
Focaccia is often used as a replacement for pizza dough, but can also be used for sandwiches or a side dish with supper.
What Is Focaccia Pizza?
Originally I was going to use a flatbread for this recipe. However, I was standing in the bread aisle and saw this focaccia bread sitting there and thought ” this will probably be a lot better” so here we are!
Replacement for Focaccia
Some Other Alternatives
The Cream Sauce
Maybe making your own cream sauce just isn’t for you and that’s okay! If you’re looking for an alternative I suggest going with an alfredo sauce (or equivalent).
As an Italian, I will always suggest making your own sauce, but sometimes I know that just isn’t possible!
Making it Vegetarian
Looking for a meatless option? No problem! Just skip out on the chicken!
Making it Vegan?
I’m sure there is a way to make this vegan, but it’s way out of my line of expertise. You would have to take out the chicken, change the cheese to vegan cheese, and somehow come up with a cream sauce.
Coconut milk MIGHT work, but then you’re stuck with a coconut milk sauce which I don’t think would go well.
Cheese Alternatives & Add Ons
Not sure about the feta cheese? You can switch it out for goat cheese or just leave it out and stick with the mozzarella!
You can also add on some parmesan or romano cheese if you’re looking for extra flavour!
The Cayenne Pepper
Honestly, I just added it in because I like things spicy, but by no means is it essential to the pizza tasting good.
If you want to add it in perfect! If not, don’t sweat it.
Okay, we covered the basics. Ready to get into it?
Let's Get Cooking
Focaccia Pizza with Chicken & Asparagus
- 1 300g focaccia pizza
- 1/2 cup shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup cream sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/3 cup feta
- 3 spears asapragus sliced
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
For Cream Sauce
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp parsley
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne optional
For Cream Sauce
- On medium-low begin melting your butter. Add in your garlic and cook for 15 seconds
- Add in your flour and stir until it becomes like a paste.
- Add in your milk and stir until there are no clumps of flour.
- Add the rest of your ingredients & cook for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
- if your sauce gets too thick add in a bit of milk or water until it gets to your desired consistency.
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Drizzle olive oil on the base of your focaccia
- Layer your sauce, chicken, most of your asparagus, feta, and mozzarella.
- Add a few remaining pieces of asparagus to the top, and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: after 15 minutes set your oven to broil and cook on high until the top starts to brown. Don't take your eyes off it. It browns quickly!