Are you looking for the perfect side dish to serve this fall and holiday season? Today we’re going over my super simple recipe for healthy mashed sweet potatoes! This recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and only has 6 ingredients to make the perfectly creamy mashed sweet potatoes!
Ready to get into it?
How to Prep Potatoes for Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Peeling Potatoes: First things first you’ll want to peel your potatoes. Make sure to cut out any bruising or dark spots as well.
- Chopping Potatoes: Next, you’re going to want to dice your potatoes. Make sure to cut them into the same size do they’ll cook evenly.
- Boiling Potatoes: Lastly, you’re going to boil those potatoes. Make sure to choose a large enough pot so the water doesn’t boil over. I also recommend salt your water before cooking to give those potatoes some extra flavour.
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Tips for the Mashed Sweet Potatoes
What to Serve with Sweet Potatoes
As I’m sure you’ve guessed, mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish to your next holiday meal. This recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas to pair with your turkey and all the other sides.
Looking to enjoy this recipe out of the holiday season? No problem! This dish is perfect to serve with chicken, beef, pork, or even lamb! Mashed sweet potatoes are perfect to swap out traditional roasted or mashed potatoes.
Why You'll Love It
Let's Get Cooking
Mashed Sweet Potato
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 3 tbsp Salted Butter
- 1/4 cup Low-Fat Sour Cream
- 2 Garlic Cloves or tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Salt & Pepper
- 1 TBSP Fresh Parsley
- Begin by cutting your sweet potatoes into cube pieces, trying to keep them uniform.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil and add in your salt and potatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender.
- If you’re using fresh garlic, cook for a few minutes in olive oil and set aside.
- Drain your water, and add your potatoes to a bowl, and begin mashing with a potato masher (or fork if needed)
- Add the remainder of your ingredients and fold in until combined.
- Serve with your favourite main dish, and enjoy!
Storage & Leftovers
Storing mashed sweet potatoes for leftovers is a breeze! After you’ve relished the creamy goodness, simply transfer any extra mashed sweet potatoes into an airtight container. Pop it in the fridge, and they’ll stay fresh for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze them in portions for future feasts. When reheating, add a splash of milk to restore their luscious texture. Mashed sweet potatoes make the perfect make-ahead side dish, ensuring that your love for mashed sweet potatoes lasts well beyond the initial serving. Enjoy the convenience!