Spring is here & so are easy spring recipes you can do in 25 minutes or less! Today, we’re talking about my super spring pasta recipe with asparagus! This pasta is paired with a delicious homemade pesto and finished with a little romano cheese.
Ready to get into it?
Let’s Talk Spring Pasta
When you think of spring pasta, what are we even thinking of? For me, it’s about a lighter option than what we’ve been eating all winter. Pesto is such a light sauce that is perfect for this warmer weather. For veggies, asparagus and peas are a staple for springtime, which makes them the perfect addition to this dish. You can really choose whatever noodles for this dish; however, I chose to go with orecchiette! Finish it off with some romano or parmesan cheese, and you’re all set!
How to Make Spring Pasta with Asparagus
Step 1: Let’s start with gathering all those ingredients. This makes it easier down the road to just grab and go.
Step 2: Time to make that super easy pesto! Add your basil, cheese, pine nuts, salt, and olive oil, and blend until completely combined. If you want to be fancy, you can also use a mortar and pesto.
Step 3: Once you get this gorgeous green pesto set it aside to use later.
Step 4: Time to cut up that asparagus. Make sure to cut off the ends and discard before continuing. You really just want to do a rough chop here.
Step 5: Let’s cook those peas and asparagus. Add a little olive oil and salt, and remember to stir continuously. While your veggies are coming, bring a large pot to a boil to cook your pasta.
Step 6: Once your noodles are drained at your peas, pesto, and light cream to your pot and stir until combined. Cook on low for 1-2 minutes.
Step 7: Finish off with a little more cheese and enjoy!
Let's Get Cooking
Spring Pasta Recipe with Asparagus
- 450 grams Pasta I used orecchiette pasta
- 1 Bushel Asparagus
- 1 Cup Peas
- 2 Cups Basil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 TBSP Pine Nuts
- 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Romano Cheese Parmesan is fine as well
- 1/4 Cup Cream
- 1/4 TSP Salt
- Begin by removing the stems from your basil and adding them to a food processor.
- Add your garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, salt, and romano cheese to the food processor and blend until completely combined
- Set aside.
- On medium-low, add olive oil to a large pan and let heat up for a minute. Once heated, add your peas and chopped asparagus. Remember to cut off the ends of your asparagus!
- In a large pot, begin boiling your water and add sea salt. Once boiling, add your noodles and cook as per packaging instructions
- Once your pasta is cooked, remove ½ of the water before draining.
- Add your drained pasta back to the pot, add your veggies, pesto and ⅓ of cream and cook on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Top off with a little more romano cheese and enjopy!