If you’re like me, and you don’t fully understand the art of sushi, then this recipe is for you! Today we’re talking about making homemade shrimp sushi recipes for people who don’t really know how to sushi! The recipe I chose is my take on Ebi Maki, which I order from the Sushi Shop way too much.
Sushi – The Basics
Let’s get one thing straight- the way I do sushi is probably wrong, but it works. Your sushi will be held together in a nice rice-wrapped nori roll and will cost you less than what you’re paying for your take-out sushi!
I’ve learned from my sushi-making experience that you have to have good rice, and you can’t overfill your roll, or there will be a disaster.
Shrimp Sushi Recipe
- 1 Nori Sheet
- 1/3 Cup Short Grain White Rice
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 TSP Sugar
- 1/2 TBSP Rice Vinegar
- Pinch of Salt
- 5 Shrimp
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1/5 Cucumber
- 1 TBSP Mayo
- 1 TBSP Siracha
- Soy Sauce Keep Seperately
- Rinse your rice until the water is clear
- Boil 1/3 cup water (or whatever your rice package says) in a small pot, and add in your sugar, rice vinegar, and salt
- Add in your rice, cover, and set to medium-low for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked. Your rice should be sticky and obviously not hard. Let your rice cool for a few minutes before adding it to your nori sheet.
- Cut up your avocado into two strips and your cucumber into small matchstick strips.
- Place your Nori Sheet on your sushi roller or a flat surface, and spread your rice out evenly until all the green is covered. Try not to have clumped areas of rice.
- Add in your shrimp and avocado in the middle of your roll. Place your cucumber on top of your shrimp and avocado.
- Roll your sushi. If you're using a sushi roller, this will be easy. If you don't have one grab the edge of your Nori and gently wrap your shrimp & avocado pile. Form the rice around your filling before rolling it over in your cylinder shape.
- Wait until your nori is cool before cutting into pieces
- If you're making the siracha mayo sauce, combine both in a bowl and drizzle over your roll once cut.
- Congratulation, you did the sushi!
Calories: 244kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 12gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0.03gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 502mgPotassium: 488mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 277IUVitamin C: 18mgCalcium: 53mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!